Saturday, March 30, 2019

Rise of the teenage mutant ninja turtles.



Honestly I surprise myself with this one.

I am a major fan of  'TMNT', therefor when I heard news about there being a new one I was excited, and then I saw a preview and I was disappointed, regardless, you cant judge a book by its cover and I thought Id watch some clips on youtube and see what I thought, I am always willing to try any new teenage mutant ninja turtles. I am happy to report that I love the new version of the show, there are a lot of changes but I think that they are quite refreshing changes. 




These are the new designs, when I first saw them I was not a fan. But they have definitely grown on me. What I really liked was the fact that each of the characters are actually a different breed of turtles. 

Donny Is a soft shell turtle
Mikey is a box turtle
Raph is a snapping turtle
and Leo is a red-eared slider turtle. 

I really liked that touch, most of the versions of the turtles have copy and paste versions of the characters that have slight changes, such as weapons, mask colours, obviously personality's are different, but the visuals are not very different.

They also switched the rolls of the characters a little, usually the way the team works is that Leo is the leader, Raphs hot headed, Donnie's smart and quite, Mikey's the clown. In this version, Raphael is actually the leader, Leos sarcastic, Mikey is the youngest and artsy, Donnie is still science orientated, but he's a lot more sarcastic and a bit mean sometimes, even so he's still a good part of the team. 


I really like this change to the team, its really refreshing.

Another thing I really like is the new style that the way the show is actually animated, it has a sort of comic booky anime inspired take, and sometimes when shows do this sort of style it can be cheesy and bad but not in this shows case at all, its done really well, they've thought about when it should switch to a much more exaugurated version of the type of style of animation. 

All in all, I think that this show is really good, its engaging, pleasing to watch, and the characters have such a good dynamic, the show has done such a good way of changing how the characters used to be, I love this new show and am excited to see what comes of it

I also plan on considering verity when designing characters a bit more. The concept of having such a diverse looking group of characters that are still meant to be siblings. I think its refreshing to see this sort of thing, and am excited to contemplate when creating characters of my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment